[nSLUG] Debian 3.1 (sarge) is released

Jack Warkentin jwark at eastlink.ca
Wed Jun 8 14:40:14 ADT 2005

Hi Everybody

On Wed, 2005-06-08 at 12:37, Ben Armstrong wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-06-08 at 12:25 -0300, J. Paul Bissonnette wrote:
> > Adminmenu does not have to be used,
>
> But the naive user doesn't know this.  The naive user will use it, not
> understanding that by doing so it prevents them from exploring the
> alternatives.

it does not prevent anybody from "exploring the alternatives".

The real reason I said not to alter the sources.list file was, Libranet
offers  email support for registered users of their system, but only if
updates are performed through the Adminmenu.

Now then, who *wants* to "expore alternatives"?

I have had some version of GNU/Linux (dual-booted with Windows 95 and
later Windows 98) ever since 1994. The first time I got X running I had
to create each modeline from the video card and monitor specs (after
spending days reading all of the available documentation, which warned
about blowing up the monitor if you got it wrong). Setting up ppp was
even more painful.

Frankly, I have better things to do with my time. Libranet was the first
distro I came across that made it sufficiently easy to administer the
system that I have now switched completely to GNU/Linux from M$ except
for doing my income tax.

And by the way I am *not* a "naive user". (I included some background
material on my computer background in an earlier posting.)

> > just makes things easier for the non
> > hard           core linux user, like me. :)  Also the installer blows
> > the doors off Debian's netinstaller. I used that last night to install
> > sarge.
>
> It has been my experience that when developers "cheat" and break other
> packages in order to implement their own, all in the name of
> user-friendliness, it ends up screwing up some percentage of the users
> they were trying to help down the road.  Sooner or later, admins "grow
> up" and try to use the "power tools" that come with their system instead
> of relying on hand-holding applications like Adminmenu apparently is.
> If-and-when they do, they're in for a rough ride if they don't
> understand that there's no such thing as "straddling the fence" and
> using both at the same time.

I could take the above as a personal attack on myself, but in the
interest of not starting a flame war, I won't.

Regards

Jack

Jack Warkentin, phone: 902-404-0457; email: jwark at eastlink.ca

!DSPAM:42a72d3e177732068015561!