[nSLUG] Debian 3.1 (sarge) is released

Ben Armstrong synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
Wed Jun 8 12:37:56 ADT 2005

On Wed, 2005-06-08 at 12:25 -0300, J. Paul Bissonnette wrote:
> Adminmenu does not have to be used,

But the naive user doesn't know this.  The naive user will use it, not
understanding that by doing so it prevents them from exploring the
alternatives.

> just makes things easier for the non
> hard           core linux user, like me. :)  Also the installer blows
> the doors off Debian's netinstaller. I used that last night to install
> sarge.

It has been my experience that when developers "cheat" and break other
packages in order to implement their own, all in the name of
user-friendliness, it ends up screwing up some percentage of the users
they were trying to help down the road.  Sooner or later, admins "grow
up" and try to use the "power tools" that come with their system instead
of relying on hand-holding applications like Adminmenu apparently is.
If-and-when they do, they're in for a rough ride if they don't
understand that there's no such thing as "straddling the fence" and
using both at the same time.

Believe it or not, no matter how wonderful Adminmenu is for users like
yourself, they *did* have a choice about whether or not to force users
to do things the "Adminmenu way" in order to use their package at the
same time as these other tools.  They made the wrong choice.

Thanks for straightening out for me what's going on, here.  Based on
this info, I will try to steer clear of Adminmenu if I ever have the
misfortune of having to deal with it in the future.

Ben

!DSPAM:42a710df163261904775834!