[nSLUG] Followup Re: X freeze etc. Thanks all.

Gerard MacNeil aa030 at chebucto.ns.ca
Tue Jun 7 16:30:36 ADT 2005

On Tue, 2005-06-07 at 15:04 -0300, Mike Spencer wrote:
> That's a program that will re-write ROM with new bits or something
> like that, right?  Not prying a chip out of a socket, right?

Well, their EEPROMs or is it EPROMs, but write bits indeed.

> Well, a quick google of Linux users' experience with BIOS upgrades
> reads like the Russian Roulette column from the "Deerhunter" sports
> page.

I'm getting update software from the manufacturer and installing
according to instructions, no big deal. Looking to see if you should,
that is the system admin task.

> So I think this is an instance of "If Ain't Broke (any longer), Don't
> Fix It".

More like it's broke but who cares. :-)

> FWIW, the motion detector program

Cool use.

> BTW, is there a conventional solution to the problem of running a
> computer in an elecrtonics-hostile environment?
...  into a closed plastic box with
> an extra fan (or two) to push filtered air into it
                                     that should be out of
>  -- a positive pressure clean room in a basket, so to speak.

Positive pressure is exactly what you need, but it does not need to be
by very much.  An intake feed from a clean source (a hose to outside)
into a sealed enclosure with an exhaust to the general environment
should do the job.

I have some 72-pin RAM I can part with.

Gerard

!DSPAM:42a5f5dd136781930364442!