[nSLUG] Followup Re: X freeze etc. Thanks all.

Mike Spencer mspencer at tallships.ca
Tue Jun 7 15:04:56 ADT 2005

Gerard quoth:

> I had a similar problem/solution with a PS/2 mouse on an AMD-K6.
> Then I had an Acer RTL-8139 NIC that worked fine in linux and would
> not receive in Winder's on the same box.  I eventually found a VIA
> 4-in-1 BIOS upgrade that fixed both the NIC and the PS/2 port
> induced problems.

That's a program that will re-write ROM with new bits or something
like that, right?  Not prying a chip out of a socket, right?

Well, a quick google of Linux users' experience with BIOS upgrades
reads like the Russian Roulette column from the "Deerhunter" sports
page.

OTOH, this seems to be a working machine, total investment (aside from
time) $50. If I can find some suitable RAM on the cheap, I'll have a
bargain box to (1) do security surveillance in the workshop and (2)
let me occasionally look stuff up on my main machine 120' away.

So I think this is an instance of "If Ain't Broke (any longer), Don't
Fix It".

FWIW, the motion detector program [1] seems to work well enough that,
with some careful (and probably tedious) tuning, my bargain box will
sit quietly in the dark but will dump a few pics (across the wireless
link to the house) of anything that moves should a light be turned
on.  Just have to get the cam latency and the motion parameters more
or less matched.

BTW, is there a conventional solution to the problem of running a
computer in an elecrtonics-hostile environment?  Blacksmith shops have
excessive dust and most of it is electrically conductive -- metal
dust, coal dust, soot etc -- that's deadly to elecronic stuff.  I'm
thinking of putting the whole computer into a closed plastic box with
an extra fan (or two) to push filtered air into it -- a positive
pressure clean room in a basket, so to speak.

- Mike

[1] http://www.lavrsen.dk/twiki/bin/view/Motion/WebHome

                                                           /V\

!DSPAM:42a5e12b134481005637606!