[nSLUG] Re: X freeze, clock weirdness: Connected? Cause?

Mike Spencer mspencer at tallships.ca
Thu Jun 2 04:17:27 ADT 2005

DTeed> You also mentioned that you have a wireless card.  If that is
DTeed> being supported by ndiswrapper, it's the end of the story.
DTeed> That is a flaky driver.

Ho hum.  I was hoping to avoid having to explain that yes, I'm using
ndiswrapper.  But:

  1. I had everything including X, wireless, USB, MPlayer & quickcam.o
     up with nidswrapper. (But with insmod ndiswrapper done after X was
     up.)

  2. After the problem occurred, I un-installed ndiswrapper, removed all
     references to it from system files, removed the driver file itself,
     did depmod, removed the wireless card.  And the problem persisted.

  3. I have now put ndiswrapper back on the (possibly faulty -- see 4.)
     assumption that 2, supra, fairly well rules it out as the source
     of the problem.

  4. This was why my original question asked:

       Is it possible that a flaky module (or whatever) could
       have reset some kernel or hardware feature that would:

          + mess up keyboard & mouse only with X

          + would persist after module (or whatever) were removed
            from the system and system rebooted?

I've found that:

    svgalib apps also open console 7 and then freeze the keyboard and
    mouse.

    Console 7 works fine if I do, say, openvt -c 7 -- csh
    BUT ONLY if I'm root.  As user, I get:

      grody% openvt -c 7 -- csh
             Couldn't get a file descriptor referring to the console

    After startx and successful display of startup xterms etc., the
    xclock updates nicely until the energy saver blanks the screen.
    So the video card is taking input from an X app, just not from the
    keyboard or mouse.

    A new X app can be opened (from a remote login) and appears on the
    console as an outline awaiting a mouse click to position.  Since
    the mouse is frozen, that can't happen.  But X *is* able to put
    the outline on the screen.

I'm wondering if this can be an interrupt problem.  I've blocked
automatic hardware detection and automatic subsequent loading of
modules that use up interrupts (uhci, usb-uhci, usb-ohci) but that
didn't fix it.

Sigh. Bed time.

- Mike

                                                           /V\