[nSLUG] Re: X freeze, clock weirdness: Connected? Cause?

Dop Ganger nslug at fop.ns.ca
Wed Jun 1 19:02:05 ADT 2005

On Wed, 1 Jun 2005, Mike Spencer wrote:

> Dop> It might also be a good idea to try memtest86, cpuburn...
>
> Hmm..  I don't seem to have those.  Are they part of a single package
> or what?

Not by default, but there's a nice bootable CD with them (and some other
tools) available from http://www.stresslinux.org/ - and I see they now
have a version that's bootable from a USB stick, too.

> The main problem appears to be that strace and X are both trying to
> hack the hardware at the same time -- timers, interrupts, ioctls etc.

strace isn't touching the hardware, it's just capturing all the system
calls and signals and logging them before passing them out. That said, you
can get some really funky results with strace as it can expose all sorts
of races, since it effectively inserts a delay where one isn't expected.

> Thanks for the advice.  Further comment welcome.  Time for me to take
> a break from this and deal with my garden, now that the rain has
> stopped.

http://www.richsoil.com/lawn/index.jsp

Enjoy your newfound free time, and feel self-righteous for being
environmentally friendly at the same time.

:-)

Cheers... Dop.

!DSPAM:429e3060221841661531676!