[nSLUG] X freeze, clock weirdness: Connected? Cause?

Dop Ganger nslug at fop.ns.ca
Wed Jun 1 08:51:37 ADT 2005

On Tue, 31 May 2005, Mike Spencer wrote:

> I put together a PII carcass, HD, some PCI cards.
[snip]
> had everything working
[snip]
> Shutdown, moved it to another building. And now,
[snip]
>    + Then keyboard and mouse freeze completely.
[snip]

As Donald noted, I would be suspicious of the hardware. Since it worked
before it moved, I'd probably be tempted to unplug everything and plug it
back together. It specifically sounds like the video card to me, but only
because I had the same problem once with a PCI video card that had a badly
aligned backplane so the fingers wouldn't actually seat all the way in.
Since you've tried a different video card, have you tried it in a
different slot, and perhaps tried taking off the backplane to see if it
seats better?

It might also be a good idea to try memtest86, cpuburn, and all that fun
stuff, just to make sure the hardware's any good.

If you don't get any joy with that and you're willing to spend time on it,
try taking the motherboard out of the case - I've seen cases before where
everything was fine until the machine warmed up just enough to expand and
short out on the case.

Last thing, there's a chance that the board might have some of the flaky
capacitors that were around a few years ago - I think it might just be in
the right time frame. Perhaps check for suspiciously bulging/leaning caps?

Cheers... Dop.

!DSPAM:429da14c206171491877333!