[nSLUG] fault tolerant internet connection

Tim Johnson timj at fabrysociety.org
Thu Jul 28 15:15:02 ADT 2005

Quoting Dop Ganger <nslug at fop.ns.ca>:

> On Thu, 28 Jul 2005, Tim wrote:
>
> > Does anyone know of a simple way to route packets out over both an Eastlink
> > connection and an Mpowered connection? I have done some static routing, but
> > what I'm looking for is to not only balance the load on each connection,
> but to
> > use something similar to an OSPF type routing policy where the shortest
> (and
> > thus in theory the fastest) connection is made. This would also route
> around if
> > either the cable or mpowered went out. I currently use Slackware (10.0 on
> one
> > machine and 10.1 on another) I've looked at Zebra before, but I cannot find
> > sufficent documentation to wrap my brain around.
>
> The only way to do this in an absolutely bullet-proof way is to use BGP.
> You will need business grade connections to be able to do this,
> co-operation from both Eastlink and Aliant, and your own AS number (ie:
> $$$).
>
> If you're trying to do this for serving (eg web hosting), you could
> probably cook up something with PowerDNS (http://www.powerdns.com/) and a
> custom backend based off the geobackend.
>
> If this is more for outbound traffic for redundancy (ie an office
> firewall) then the LARTC documents how at
> http://www.lartc.org/howto/lartc.rpdb.multiple-links.html (note that you
> *will* need the patches available from http://www.ssi.bg/~ja/#routes).
> I've done this successfully at multiple sites with up to 3 different
> providers, but there's no reason you can't have more than that.
>
> Cheers... Dop.

A quick browse of this seems to be just what I'm looking for... I'll see what
the patches involve. This is my old Pentium 233mhz machine, so I really hate to
recompile the kernel :)

Tim

This message was sent using the fabrysociety.org Webmail.
For more Information please visit ;
http://www.fabrysociety.org

!DSPAM:42e920a4307713867115666!