[nSLUG] fault tolerant internet connection

Dop Ganger nslug at fop.ns.ca
Thu Jul 28 15:01:32 ADT 2005

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005, Tim wrote:

> Does anyone know of a simple way to route packets out over both an Eastlink
> connection and an Mpowered connection? I have done some static routing, but
> what I'm looking for is to not only balance the load on each connection, but to
> use something similar to an OSPF type routing policy where the shortest (and
> thus in theory the fastest) connection is made. This would also route around if
> either the cable or mpowered went out. I currently use Slackware (10.0 on one
> machine and 10.1 on another) I've looked at Zebra before, but I cannot find
> sufficent documentation to wrap my brain around.

The only way to do this in an absolutely bullet-proof way is to use BGP.
You will need business grade connections to be able to do this,
co-operation from both Eastlink and Aliant, and your own AS number (ie:
$$$).

If you're trying to do this for serving (eg web hosting), you could
probably cook up something with PowerDNS (http://www.powerdns.com/) and a
custom backend based off the geobackend.

If this is more for outbound traffic for redundancy (ie an office
firewall) then the LARTC documents how at
http://www.lartc.org/howto/lartc.rpdb.multiple-links.html (note that you
*will* need the patches available from http://www.ssi.bg/~ja/#routes).
I've done this successfully at multiple sites with up to 3 different
providers, but there's no reason you can't have more than that.

Cheers... Dop.

!DSPAM:42e91d7b306562077315615!