[nSLUG] fault tolerant internet connection

Crawford, Andrew (IT) Andrew.Crawford at morganstanley.com
Thu Jul 28 14:56:34 ADT 2005

Routing *out* is easy but the problem is you also need to route *in*.

That requires that you obtain provide-independent (PI) address space and either...

* you have your own AS (autonomous system number, which you basically can'y get) and exchange BGP routing information with both Eastlink and Aliant (which they won't do)

Or

* Have both Eastlink and Aliant announce your IP block as belonging to their AS. This does work but it's a hack. In any case it doesn't matter because they won't do it for you.

So, to cut a long story short, you can't do it.

Cheers,

Andrwe