[nSLUG] Re: IEEE Spectrum articles on software patents

Mike Spencer mspencer at tallships.ca
Tue Jul 26 23:46:31 ADT 2005

> "The use of any inventive mathematical algorithm that requires more
> calculation than can be reasonably done by hand is now patentable."

So we can't patent zero because it's a pure abstraction.

But we can patent "nothing" because it requires for it's existence
something -- any commonplace object will do -- the absence of which is
nothing.

Feh.

ObLinux: The webcam -> PII/SLak10 -> Wireless -> (Other) PII/Slak10
setup works okay with daylight or careful attention to lighting the
cam's field except that when an intervening tree has leaves on and is
wet with rain, the wireless connection degrades to unreliable or
worse.

- Mike

                                                           /V\

!DSPAM:42e6f465265018643619313!