[nSLUG] getting sftp/ssh access at hosting ISP

Donald Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Wed Jul 6 12:34:10 ADT 2005

On 7/6/05, Artson <artson at hotpop.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I don't know what you do Donald, but mayhap it is time for you to provide
> the
> services you seek from others?
>
> Just think, you could offer honesty, civility, decent terms and conditions
> all
> spelled out, a fair price AND safety from prying US eyes under the Patriot
> Act.
>
> You could.

I already have work I like.

Privacy is already dead. Living in another country doesn't change
it. For years the various security organization wings
(e.g. Canada's Defence Security Establishment, now
known as CSE) have worked around the national privacy
laws by asking other countries to do the data gathering
for them and exchanging the favor. The only difference since
9/11 is now they have an excuse to not be as concerned
about privacy violations being revealed publicly.

The idea of leasing a cheap colo server somewhere has
appealed to me before, but I'd only want to do it with
a group of users I could trust not to demand unknown
things from it. (e.g. support from me.) Back when it was
at least $150/month to do it, I could not find enough interested
parties.

!DSPAM:42cbf9f147934099418197!