[nSLUG] Re: Do It Yourself with dynamic DNS services

Donald Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Tue Jul 5 14:21:26 ADT 2005

I'm looking for about 300 MB of space, as we already
used up our 100 MB at the previous ISP (Blacksun)
that came with $10/month (30MB was log files,
which was trimmed back to 16MB if < Jan 2005 was deleted!).

The most local hosting company to me has
servers in Panama.  Price doesn't compete, and
I don't want hosting based there.  Next to that
I guess would be something in Halifax.

Let's take Halifax IT Lab:
300 MB is $450/year.  I can't afford to shop local.

Or how about Twisted Pair:
500 MB is $150/month.  Way too much.

Contrast that with something like sibername.com, which I've
ditched because of the ssh access rules:
350MB is $7.50/month (Cdn).  Less with full year purchase.

Or how about midphase in Chicago:
3000MB is $7.95/month.  It may be extra for ssh.

Someone mentioned OLM:
400 MB is $9.95/month.

I've previously used phpwebhosting:
500MB for $9.95/month.

There are lots out there offering huge amounts of space
and features, and some of them can even respond to support
email and phone calls.  I'm not shopping at the places
with too good to last set up, but I'm looking for something
more competitive than what the local places can offer.

Many of the above companies have been around for many years.
In my opinion, the local companies are behind the times in
what packages are offered.  The big guys succeed at
a low cost for two reasons: automation and lower cost
per unit with massive infrastructure.  There are things
in that not to like as well, but I can't afford the local alternatives.

--Donald