[nSLUG] Do It Yourself with dynamic DNS services

Scott Syms scottsyms at gmail.com
Mon Jul 4 21:33:15 ADT 2005

I've been using dyndns.org <http://dyndns.org> for a while with an Eastlink
connection- I'd always understood that because of NATing, Aliant IP's are
not available from the Internet.

You can set up an smtp daemon and configure dyndns to forward emails to your
server, all for free.

The only hook is that if you're a residential eastlink customer, you're not
supposed to be hosting web sites, etc.

Also, I think the upload speed on cable modem is something like 900K. Divide
that up amongst several concurrent users and it's quite slow.

I've used OLM.net <http://OLM.net> in the past for web hosting and been
quite pleased with the offerings, price and support.

tks

On 7/4/05, Donald Teed <donald.teed at gmail.com> wrote:

> Going through all of the jungle of web hosts, with crazy deals, wide
> variety
> of prices, special conditions on ssh access, different conditions up
> front than what you get when you have sent them money, etc.
> is making me want to circumvent the whole thing.
>
> I think I can set up DynDNS with Mailhop, and other forwarding stuff.
> Has anyone local experience with aliant/eastlink and making this work?
> (i.e. are there reasons to give up before I start?)
>
> Our current web site has under 400 MB transfer/month. We can
> live with the site being down occassionally as is expected with
> a DSL connection.

!DSPAM:42c9d54a298181390115728!