[nSLUG] will broken rsync be the demise of Gentoo?

Stephen Gregory nslug at kernelpanic.ca
Thu Feb 24 16:13:16 AST 2005

On Thu, Feb 24, 2005 at 03:07:17PM -0400, Jason Kenney wrote:

> And I can't see how that would help fix the problem. The problem seems to
> be (from the original post, this is the first I've heard of this
> problem) that rsync itself is broken somehow, so just trying to reduce the
> things it is syncing isn't a "solution" at all.

Aren't the source.tar.gz files stored under the portage tree in
.distributed or something? I haven't used Gentoo in a while so I may
not be remembering the setup correctly.

At any rate from the origianl post I was under the impression that the
fault was a timeout error. If rsync has to calculate and tranmit fewer
CRCs it could alleviate the problem. The problem could also load on
the remote end. Rsync trades CPU time for network bandwidth. If a
client sends a large number of CRCs to check the remote machine has to
do more work possibly causing the timeout.

--
sg

!DSPAM:421e355e155632029214593!