[nSLUG] will broken rsync be the demise of Gentoo?

Donald Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Thu Feb 24 15:29:52 AST 2005

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 13:44:31 -0500, Stephen Gregory
<nslug at kernelpanic.ca> wrote:

> If you have more then one Gentoo machine you should really setup your
> own rsync mirror. It is trivial to do.

It does take up disk space.  I have only one other
machine at the same location that would use it.

> A better solution is to clean out the source files from the portage
> tree so that rsync doesn't try to sync those.

I don't understand this.  What exactly are "source files
from the portage tree"?

The ebuild source files are cleaned out by the rm
I mentioned.  The source for building the packages is only
used during emerge packagename, not by emerge sync.

To answer the other question, yes I'm using :
SYNC="rsync://rsync.namerica.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
and also, I'm using:
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://mirror.clarkson.edu/pub/distributions/gentoo/
http://mirror.datapipe.net/gentoo
http://open-systems.ufl.edu/mirrors/gentoo"