[nSLUG] will broken rsync be the demise of Gentoo?

Donald Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Thu Feb 24 15:12:16 AST 2005

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 13:41:19 -0400, Ben Armstrong
<synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca> wrote:

> Ben
> [1] Although if you accused me of baiting the Gentoo-lovers, you'd be at
> least half right. :)

Well it gets quiet here if we don't take shots
at some concepts.

For my purposes, Gentoo was great for installing
into a software RAID set up, and I don't have
concerns about the amount of time I spend twiddling
with the system admin stuff.  I would not recommend it
to anyone that just wanted to develop or use applications
and had little interest in fiddling around with sysadmin.
I would not recommend installing 10 or more servers
of Gentoo in a server room.  In most cases it
is used as a "hobby" or development machine.

The next flavour of the year might be Ubuntu.  It is built
on the grey beard wisdom and traditions of Debian
(like many others), and yet it focuses on cutting
edge versions of desktop and applications.  Like Gentoo
it has built a good community and uses web forums.
I think it is probably a good match for desktop roles.

I guess that's what I'd like to see - something that
merges the old beards of characters like Mad Dog
with the peach fuzz of some of the Gentoo Developers.
Both have something worthwhile to contribute.

You can do a quick visual survey of Gentoo Developer
of the Week from past newsletters by searching for
"GWN developer" in the images part of Google.

!DSPAM:421e2713149681517485055!