[nSLUG] will broken rsync be the demise of Gentoo?

Jason Kenney jason at ohm.ath.cx
Thu Feb 24 15:07:17 AST 2005

>> I've already tried rm -rf /usr/portage/* && emerge sync
>> - one of the common suggestions from the forums.
>
> I can't see how that would make the situation better. All that would
> do is put a higher load on the Gentoo mirrors. It is a great example
> of a problem all too frequent on the Internet: supposed solutions are
> given with absolutely no thought. It is the Windows mentality of
> reboot and try again.
>
> A better solution is to clean out the source files from the portage
> tree so that rsync doesn't try to sync those.
>
> --
> sg

And I can't see how that would help fix the problem. The problem seems to
be (from the original post, this is the first I've heard of this
problem) that rsync itself is broken somehow, so just trying to reduce the
things it is syncing isn't a "solution" at all.

On top of that, I don't think emerge even syncs "source files". The only
thing it syncronizes are the .ebuild files, which provide descriptions
about the packages, and the URL to the package and any patch files to make
it gentoo-friendly. Those are found in /usr/portage, so I can understand
why someone would suggest removing the tree and syncronizing it again: if
there isn't anything there to synchronize with, it will just download the
files directly. I presume the people who suggested that assumed the
problem was in the mechanism rsync uses to compare the files remotely (it
doesn't look at the date, it actually compares the contents of the files,
and transmits only the different parts across the wire).

That seems like a valid assumption to me, since if the problem is just in
the network code, you'd think it would be easy to fix.

Jason

!DSPAM:421e25e7148273787714039!