[nSLUG] will broken rsync be the demise of Gentoo?

Stephen Gregory nslug at kernelpanic.ca
Thu Feb 24 14:44:31 AST 2005

On Thu, Feb 24, 2005 at 11:29:17AM -0400, Donald Teed wrote:

> There are people with server
> rooms of Gentoo boxes and they have some with the problem
> and some working OK.

If you have more then one Gentoo machine you should really setup your
own rsync mirror. It is trivial to do.

> I've already tried rm -rf /usr/portage/* && emerge sync
> - one of the common suggestions from the forums.

I can't see how that would make the situation better. All that would
do is put a higher load on the Gentoo mirrors. It is a great example
of a problem all too frequent on the Internet: supposed solutions are
given with absolutely no thought. It is the Windows mentality of
reboot and try again.

A better solution is to clean out the source files from the portage
tree so that rsync doesn't try to sync those.

--
sg

!DSPAM:421e2095145491167767461!