[nSLUG] will broken rsync be the demise of Gentoo?

Ben Armstrong synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
Thu Feb 24 13:41:19 AST 2005

On Thu, 2005-02-24 at 13:22 -0400, Jonathan Freedman wrote:
> Yeah. I'll vote for natural selection as well.

Please don't misconstrue[1] my comment as an implicit statement "Gentoo
will die" or even "Gentoo deserves to die".  I just observed a general
principle regarding the rise and fall of Linux distros.

Donald's post just reminded me of "death of Debian" threads from
debian-devel, that's all (and before that "death of the Internet").  I
think Gentoo has found a niche and will probably continue to survive so
long as it provides something that the others don't that give it an
advantage in the distro marketplace.  (How's that for a bold and
unequivocal prediction of the survival of Gentoo, eh?)

I make no secret of the fact that Gentoo is not my cup of tea, but some
users out there seem to like it, so it seems it will be around for a
while, rsync problems notwithstanding.  Anyway, it's not like rsync is
the only technology that could fit that need, or that the problem, no
matter how irritating and difficult to fix, is a fatal flaw in the
scalability of the delivery of the distribution.  P

Ben
[1] Although if you accused me of baiting the Gentoo-lovers, you'd be at
least half right. :)

!DSPAM:421e11c1142211072817825!