[nSLUG] will broken rsync be the demise of Gentoo?

Donald Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Thu Feb 24 11:29:17 AST 2005

I've been watching my Gentoo boxes have intermittent timeouts
while rsyncing the portage tree (emerge sync).  Over the last few
months the problem has been getting worse.  The usual
solution is to try again, as advised in the error and eventually
you'll have it complete.

Checking on the forums, it doesn't seem there is a real and
reliable solution.

Today, on one box, I've been trying for hours repeatedly.
It connects, starts the process of syncing files and then
dies with a timeout in io.c  At the same time, another
machine can sync fine.  There are people with server
rooms of Gentoo boxes and they have some with the problem
and some working OK.

Here is a really short version of the problem:

receiving file list ...
111840 files to consider
io timeout after 60 seconds - exiting
rsync error: timeout in data send/receive (code 30) at io.c(153)

But in other attempts, it actually downloads stuff for a few minutes
before having an error in io.c

My timeout is increased in make.conf from 20 to 60 seconds - no help.

Anyone else here have the problem?  Anyone find useful information/solutions?

I've already tried rm -rf /usr/portage/* && emerge sync
- one of the common suggestions from the forums.

!DSPAM:421df2cf130931603081791!