[nSLUG] Internet connectivity options

Dop Ganger nslug at fop.ns.ca
Tue Feb 22 13:55:56 AST 2005

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005, Ben Armstrong wrote:

> A midrange solution would be to subscribe both to Aliant and Eastlink,
> and configure your router so that you can fall back to the "backup"
> connection if the primary one fails.  Probably cheaper than a T1.  Has
> anyone here done this?  Comments about your experience if you have?

Yeah, I've done it, but in a load balancing scenario rather than failover.
The only way I can get it to work reasonably reliably is by route
cacheing, but there's still a period of around 30-60 seconds where it can
route to the wrong gateway if it's the upstream that's down rather than
the gateway itself. It also takes a few minutes to get up to speed, too.
Once it gets going it's fine, and it keys off route metrics so you can
bias it depending on available bandwidth/latency/etc. Most I've done it
with is 3 connections (Allstream, Eastlink and Aliant), but it works fine
with 2.

Details on http://lartc.org/howto/lartc.rpdb.multiple-links.html for those
who are interested.

Cheers... Dop.