[NSLUG] mplayer problem

Dop Ganger nslug at fop.ns.ca
Tue Feb 22 09:28:01 AST 2005

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005, Mike Spencer wrote:

> I asked earlier about playing video on Linux and several replies
> suggested mplayer.  Fetched mplayer, fetched codecs, compiled okay,
> installed okay.

mplayer can be a bit of a bugger to get going. It's great once it works,
though.

> Runs but won't play video.  Numerous details follow in the hope of
> some enlightement.

I usually have most luck with SDL, as I can easily test SDL works with
another program (plenty of games use SDL) to make sure the video layer is
working. Once that works you can twiddle with the options to minimise CPU
usage, which (in my experience, at least) differs widely from machine to
machine. Here's the mplayer.conf from my laptop, in case it helps:

vo=sdl,x11,
ao=alsa,
fs=yes
vm=yes
bpp=0
zoom=no
double=yes
osdlevel=1
monitoraspect=4:3
cache = 16384
skin = default
framedrop=no
-aop=list=volnorm
afm=libmad
fontconfig = yes
font = "Sans"
subfont-text-scale = 3

You might also want to give Geexbox (http://geexbox.org/en/index.html) a
whirl. This essentially turns your PC into a media player after you boot
it off a CD, but it uses VESA drivers in framebuffer mode to run mplayer.
That might get you a bit further. If you boot in debug mode you can watch
what's going on, and try mounting a hard drive partition and running
mplayer on an avi by hand and see how far that gets.

> OS Release:  Linux 2.4.5 built with: gcc version 2.95.3 20010315

You might want to consider updating to a later kernel version, too; I know
there's been a lot of work done on the frame buffer, if that's what you're
using.

Cheers... Dop.

!DSPAM:421b336748071538513743!