[nSLUG] local ns e-govt and oss???

J. Paul Bissonnette jpaulb at eastlink.ca
Sun Feb 20 12:32:16 AST 2005

Ryan Ernst wrote:

> J. Paul Bissonnette wrote:
>
>> Bob Ashley wrote:
>

>> <quote>The web site accessns.ca is working fine and was working fine
>> yesterday. You could also try the web site www.servicens.ca.
>> <http://www.servicens.ca.> If you
>> are still having problems, then your browser is not capable to access
>> the sites.
>>
>> Sincerely,
>> Kathy
>> </quote>
>

> This requires me to ask 'what was the question'. Never mind the
> horrible, mangled grammar, but if they don't understand what was asked
> (e.g about non-IE browsers being capable of accessing the sites) then
> we probably have a bigger battle on our hands.

I thought I had explained it in such a way that a qualified webmaster
could understand. I told them, which system I was using, which browser,
which pages were acting up, enclosed a copy of the warning i received;
also explained that in the warning, because, of the cut & paste
operation, that the check marks that were present in the present column
could not be reproduced because they were graphics.

I would assume that if a website was not working properly with browser
"X" it would be a good idea to use  browser "X" to reproduce that problem.
Although that assumption could be challenged. :)

I have become so militant in my old age that I have written companies
stating that their site blocked my browser, when they write back, if
they do, saying I should use another browser.  I just write back stating
that Amazon or futureshop allows my browser, I'll buy there, thank you.
Same with hardware, Linux compatible?

If you want my business, you do it on my terms, its my money.

So much for my rant. :)

<quote>
Online Services - Vehicle Plate Renewal

The service that you are attempting to use requires that your browser
meets the following conditions. Please see below for what is not
currently present on your computer.

Your browser: Opera 7.50
Level
Present
Feature
Recommended

A version 4 or greater browser (Netscape or IE)
Required

128-bit SSL security
Recommended

Javascript version 1.1 or greater
Required

Cookies must be enabled
Recommended

CSS (Cascading Stylesheets) must be enabled

If you believe that you have encountered this page in error, or that
your browser meets the above conditions, continue to your selected service.

For more information about browser settings and configuration, please
click here.

Otherwise, please upgrade your browser and visit us again.

</quote>

--

J. Paul Bissonnette
http://canadian-dream.com