[nSLUG] local ns e-govt and oss???

George White aa056 at chebucto.ns.ca
Sat Feb 19 09:03:03 AST 2005

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005, Bob Ashley wrote:

> NSLUG Pundits,
>
> I'm doing a policy paper which will explore the idea of municipal
> egovernment in NS looking at open source software (oss), perhaps as a
> pilot project. If report looks plausible, I'll submit it to Service Nova
> Scotia and Municipal Relations and Union of Nova Scotia Municipalities.
>
> Any opinions, comments, guffaws, sneers, cheers?

I'm not that familiar with the systems used in NS, but I do know that
small governments in the US rely heavily on contractors (who are often
local agents of some large company) for their key systems.  I suspect
NS governments may not have much flexibility if they are tied to systems
run by 3rd parties.  The first battle is to weed out interfaces that don't
conform to open stds by getting appropriate language into the contract
requirements and raising awareness of accessiblity problems, etc.

--
George White <aa056 at chebucto.ns.ca> <gnw3 at acm.org>
189 Parklea Dr., Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia  B3Z 2G6

!DSPAM:421739e9272615820817974!