[nSLUG] local ns e-govt and oss???

Donald Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Fri Feb 18 18:51:59 AST 2005

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 06:40:24 -0400, Bob Ashley <ax386 at chebucto.ca> wrote:
> NSLUG Pundits,
>
> I'm doing a policy paper which will explore the idea of municipal
> egovernment in NS looking at open source software (oss), perhaps as a
> pilot project.

Looking at what happened in Israel, UK and some cities
in Germany last year, here is how it works:

1. Government sponsors study to determine if moving desktops, servers
and office applications to Linux
is feasible.  Employ a few dozen geeks on temporary
basis to do feasibility testing and write up reports.
2. After a year, preliminary results of study show that
moving to Linux is possible and it would save the
government thousands of dollars.  This stage has
to be publicly announced.
3. Enter into negotiations with Microsoft and pretend to
be reluctant to renewing OS and software licenses.
4. Issue second news item that government bodies in
question could probably save a bundle with OSS.
5. Wait for Microsoft to relent and sell licenses
at 1/4 the normal price.  If it is necessary to give
them a scare, announce that desktops are rolling
out with Linux on them, but in actually just
make them dual boot with Windows.
6. Sign on dotted line when target price is made with MS.
7. Issue a third news item that preliminary findings were
wrong or that users are having some troubles adopting Linux and in the
meantime a good deal with Microsoft has
been arranged, saving the government thousands.

This is the general formula for what actually happened
last year in the above named countries.

!DSPAM:421671ef248791306883618!