[nSLUG] local ns e-govt and oss???

M Taylor mctylr at privacy.nb.ca
Fri Feb 18 15:48:03 AST 2005

On Fri, Feb 18, 2005 at 12:39:06PM -0400, Bob Ashley wrote:
> Yeah, that browser discrimination burns me too. "This web site is
> compatible with all browsers" oughta be the rule. The people I feel
> sorry for are those with sight or other disabilities, whatever the
> browser. 'Access' seems always to be a sidelined issue. Text versions of
> all government sites would be a good start. Federal sites are generaly
> pretty good. Also, much of the language is still too advanced for those
> with minimal literacy skills, and there's plenty of those citizens.
> Which, of course, introduces a much more fundamental social problem.

The Federal government websites look and feel the same, and most are
quite accessible because there _is_ federal guidelines about all
public accessible federal government websites, the Common Look and
Feel (CLF). In fact CLF is increased used for internal work as well.
 <http://www.cio-dpi.gc.ca/clf-nsi/index_e.asp>.

Beside the official language requirements at the federal level,
it should be easy to adopt these standards for provincial and municiple
web based standards, for both internal and public facing web sites.

Please, do complain about sites that do not met accessibility
guidelines.

My favourite group to fight weasel wording and microscopic legalise
agreements is the UK Plain English Campaign
 <http://www.plainenglish.co.uk/>.

!DSPAM:42164675240451549982991!