[nSLUG] local ns e-govt and oss???

Bob Ashley ax386 at chebucto.ca
Fri Feb 18 12:39:06 AST 2005

Yeah, that browser discrimination burns me too. "This web site is
compatible with all browsers" oughta be the rule. The people I feel
sorry for are those with sight or other disabilities, whatever the
browser. 'Access' seems always to be a sidelined issue. Text versions of
all government sites would be a good start. Federal sites are generaly
pretty good. Also, much of the language is still too advanced for those
with minimal literacy skills, and there's plenty of those citizens.
Which, of course, introduces a much more fundamental social problem.

Someone had a nice idea to collect up old PCs, load an OSS of some kind,
and distribute them free to orgs whose clients are those on the far side
of the 'digital divide'. It makes an community-minded opportunity out of
privately experienced, accelerated obsolescence.

Bob