[nSLUG] local ns e-govt and oss???

Miles Thompson milesthompson at ns.sympatico.ca
Thu Feb 17 17:54:55 AST 2005

That's the trouble with abbreviations. I've gotten so damned tired of
typing "very" - so it becomes "v."  <g>
As for the other MSFT acronyms, what they stand for probably doesn't matter
in the context of this discussion, but here they are:

         DAO - Data Access Object - when introduced it replaced RDO (Remote
Data Object)

         ADO - Activex Data Object - was an improvement, I guess, on DAO
and was heralded as the latest and greatest technology. Of course it was
"objectified" even more than DAO, so one could not just simply call a
method, but had to keep instantiating an object and then calling  its
method, but not always, and even if you did some of the meanings changed
subtly. If I sound a bit grumpy about his, I am.

ADO is slower than DAO, it is more flexible. It also requires the use of a
DSN, ( Data Source Name ) which makes it harder to distribute a program,
have it pick up the location of the database from it's .ini file, and go
run. Nope, creation of the DSN is a task done at operating
system  level.  Given that users don't usually run at a level which enables
them to create these, it's a potentially thorny issue.

You don't need any more on MSFT's TLA's. The swamp only deepens, and this
IS a Linux list.

As for the VB --> VB.NET thing, don't get me started. They really made a
break, should not have called it VB.

Cheers - Miles

At 03:05 PM 2/17/2005, you wrote:
>Some interesting angles I hadn't thought of. Thanks Miles.
>
>><snip>They are looking, of course, at what would be a v. high cost of
>>switching everything over in a lump; any transition is likely to be
>>gradual, and that would be their greatest fear.
>
>What's 'a v.'?
>
>>And of course there are legacy apps, written for the Windows environment,
>>which cannot be migrated. Of course MSFT helps with this by periodically
>>obsoleting whole chunks of its technology. Example? It's not a smooth
>>transition from Vb to VB.NET, and if one wants to (or has to) move from
>>DAO to ADO (let's rearrange the letters but kill backwards compatibility)
>>there massive code changes are required.
>
>Okay, can you clue in the clueless on some of the cryptic abbreviations?
>Ha,ha!
<rest snipped>

!DSPAM:421512b2204011679828547!