[nSLUG] local ns e-govt and oss???

Bob Ashley ax386 at chebucto.ca
Thu Feb 17 16:23:21 AST 2005

Michael D. Crawford wrote:
> Bob Ashley wrote:
>
>> Would
>> you consider granting permission for me to cite that paragraph in my
>> report?
>

> You can quote anything you like.  I'm happy to have supplied helpful
> text. :-)

Much appreciated. I'll take great care to contextualize any quotation
fairly and reasonably.

> I live in Truro, so could find it convenient to do such consulting for
> Truro or Bible Hill.

Well, my question was more hypothetical, but this positive response
along with a couple of others culminates into a very powerful argument
for a government administration and affiliates to consult directly with
informed citizens.

If such a committee of informed citizens could be struck, I think it
would be perceived as pioneering by other jurisdictions across the
country. Not just technology, but local, grassroots democracy on the
leading edge.

> I have experience with Debian and Slackware, but I'd be willing to learn
> to work with any distribution.  If one is going to host a
> mission-critical IT app on Linux, they'd probably want to use SuSE or
> Red Hat, because of the robust support these companies provide (at a
> price!), certification and so on.
>
> But really my preference is for debian.

Many thanks for contributing to my research!! Primary sources kick
serious butt!

Bob