[nSLUG] local ns e-govt and oss???

M Taylor mctylr at privacy.nb.ca
Thu Feb 17 15:27:38 AST 2005

On Thu, Feb 17, 2005 at 03:05:20PM -0400, Bob Ashley wrote:
> > Yes, I'd support that, and of course there are transition costs. I'd
> > wager the MSFT argument for staying with Windows is that it's a familiar
> > environment and people know how to work within it. This Linux stuff is
> > strange and intimidating, and be prepared for high costs of retraining.
> >
> > They are looking, of course, at what would be a v. high cost of
> > switching everything over in a lump; any transition is likely to be
> > gradual, and that would be their greatest fear.
>
> What's 'a v.'?

'a very high cost ...'

> > And of course there are legacy apps, written for the Windows
> > environment, which cannot be migrated. Of course MSFT helps with this by
> > periodically obsoleting whole chunks of its technology. Example? It's
> > not a smooth transition from Vb to VB.NET, and if one wants to (or has
> > to) move from DAO to ADO (let's rearrange the letters but kill backwards
> > compatibility) there massive code changes are required.
>
> Okay, can you clue in the clueless on some of the cryptic abbreviations?

VB is Visual Basic, which is the most likely language of any custom programming
you are likely to see if an office technology environment. VB.NET is the
.Net framework upgraded version.

DAO and ADO are data access methods (APIs) used to access data sources
(Access, MS SQL Server, etc.) in a Windows development environment.

!DSPAM:4214f02d193251436135876!