[nSLUG] local ns e-govt and oss???

Miles Thompson milesthompson at ns.sympatico.ca
Thu Feb 17 14:22:24 AST 2005

At 11:21 AM 2/17/2005, you wrote:
>Thanks for the input, Miles.
>
>Miles Thompson wrote:
>>Bob,
>>They'll all swear they're cash-strapped, but check their expenditures and
>>where they have surpluses buried.
>
>That'll probably change, at least somewhat, now that they've switched to
>full accrual accounting. It is a fact, too, that much expenditure, <snip>
>
>But, putting the political aside, momentarily...Would you support an
>administrative initiative towards unix-based municipal egovernment? I
>notice Microsoft is retaliating, claiming that in the end, Unix will cost
>more than proprietary setups. We have to be dubious about that
>counterclaim, for sure.
>
>Do you think citizens would reap more benefits than incurred costs?
>Politics aside.

Yes, I'd support that, and of course there are transition costs. I'd wager
the MSFT argument for staying with Windows is that it's a familiar
environment and people know how to work within it. This Linux stuff is
strange and intimidating, and be prepared for high costs of retraining.

They are looking, of course, at what would be a v. high cost of switching
everything over in a lump; any transition is likely to be gradual, and that
would be their greatest fear.

And of course there are legacy apps, written for the Windows environment,
which cannot be migrated. Of course MSFT helps with this by periodically
obsoleting whole chunks of its technology. Example? It's not a smooth
transition from Vb to VB.NET, and if one wants to (or has to) move from DAO
to ADO (let's rearrange the letters but kill backwards compatibility) there
massive code changes are required.

Regards - Miles