[nSLUG] local ns e-govt and oss???

Bob Ashley ax386 at chebucto.ca
Thu Feb 17 11:21:26 AST 2005

Thanks for the input, Miles.

Miles Thompson wrote:
> Bob,
>
> They'll all swear they're cash-strapped, but check their expenditures
> and where they have surpluses buried.

That'll probably change, at least somewhat, now that they've switched to
full accrual accounting. It is a fact, too, that much expenditure,
formerly taken up by the feds and provs was offloaded to the munies.
Wharves is probably the best example. Maintenance is mainly done by
volunteers, but there's still a serious infrastruture deficit. Towns are
falling apart.

> Municipality of East Hants uses SAP for taxes and water; moans about
> lack of funds, yet loses close to $160, 000/yr on an over-staffed
> municipal pool, and has a huge surplus stuffed away in various reserves.
> Area rates are not consistent, the tail (rural councillors) wags the dog
> - curtailing needed expenditures in the Enfield - Shubenacadie corridor.
> Helluva mess.

Gee, maybe I oughta apply for a job!

> Our Chamber of Commerce has repeatedly tackled them on the surplus -
> they cannot identify how much is enough, like most misers.

Part of this is undoubtedly the inherently obsfucating practice of
old-time reserve accounting. I know CA's who won't touch it, too messy.

> Most like candidate for help? Town of Canso?

You can say that again!

But, putting the political aside, momentarily...Would you support an
administrative initiative towards unix-based municipal egovernment? I
notice Microsoft is retaliating, claiming that in the end, Unix will
cost more than proprietary setups. We have to be dubious about that
counterclaim, for sure.

Do you think citizens would reap more benefits than incurred costs?
Politics aside.

Bob