[nSLUG] Apache & Absolute paths

Doug McComber doug.mccomber at gmail.com
Tue Feb 15 07:49:56 AST 2005

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 10:01:30 -0400, J. Paul Bissonnette
<jpaulb at eastlink.ca> wrote:
> I have been trying to set-up an Apache server, Debian based Installation,
> for my website testing. I've run into a snag.
>
> How do I set-up *my* server to accept absolute paths?
>  eg
> <!--#include virtual="/inc/meta-de.inc" -->
> or
> /pics/common/floatplanes.jpg
> My web host allows these.
>
> --
> Really, I'm not out to destroy Microsoft. That will just be a completely
> unintentional side effect.
>
>                         --- Linus Torvalds
>
> --
>
> J. Paul Bissonnette
> http://canadian-dream.com

Hi,

I take it you mean the paths are going to be in your html or php or
javascript, etc?  In that case you don't need to change anything in
Apache.  But your path statements must not go outside your "jail" if
you are using a chrooted account (i.e. www.whatever.com/~username/).
If you are not using chrooted accounts then whatever you are
referencing in your path statement must be readable by the web server
(and so must the directory).  Example, your server root is:

/var/www/html

In there you have a file that references a config file you want your
script to be able to read but not be public to cracker scum.  So your
path is outside the web root as so:

/var/www/config.inc

This will work so long as config.inc and /var/www are readable by the
Apache user (usually nobody, www, or apache).

Regards,
Doug

!DSPAM:4211e1e6113192099317259!