[nSLUG] Re: No PCMCIA 802.11g on Linux Laptops?! (Paul Boudreau)

Steve Muise muisesg at muise.homeip.net
Thu Feb 3 12:19:00 AST 2005

I have used a bunch of different PCMCIA, PCI and USB wireless b and G
cards with Linux. ndiswrapper has worked fine for me on linksys cards
http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/

Cards with Prism chipset work perfectly - At home I use a Netgear PCMCIA
card which works fine.
Prisms are as simple as this

modprobe prism54
iwconfig wlan0 essid EDDISNAME
iwconfig wlan0 enc xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-...

Cards with ti chipsets works good as well, for me any way and I have a
USB G nic I picked up up at Staple for $29.95 which works great but only
with this slightly fixed version of the driver.

http://warder.ath.cx:81/projects.php

The only area I have had any trouble is when encryption is turned on. I
have found that it sometimes works and sometimes not. Load the module
once and it works, unload it and load it again and it doesn't. No reason
as far as I can tell but without encryption, I have had good success
with different cards with at least 5 different chipsets. If you stick
with an orinoco or prism chipset though you should have no trouble. A
quick google search

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=linux+prism54+modprobe&btnG=Google+Search

should find tons of step by step guides to getting it going. Good Luck.

>I've looked through several Linux websites and a few HCLs, and I have
>not found *any* 802.11g PCMCIA cards that are usable with *any* Linux.
>This raises one very important question: WHY?!

!DSPAM:42024f51309552643651094!