[nSLUG] No PCMCIA 802.11g on Linux Laptops?!

Donald Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Wed Feb 2 20:34:25 AST 2005

Here is an even better challenge: find a mini-PCI part that supports
WPA and 802.11G with native Linux drivers.

ndiswrapper in my experience is a hack.  Search for "freeze" and
"ndiswrapper" on google and you'll get lots of matches for many
types of OS and hardware.  The programmer for that project doesn't
know how to make it do a traceable stack dump when ndiswrapper
crashes a machine.  He told me it would require reading!
So the bugs in it continue to flog users.

The Intel 2200BG is slowly coming along.  Intel is a sponsor for
the open source driver, however it won't release hardware
specs to the lead developer it employs.  Intel announced
driver support for Centrino's wireless back in April 2003.
Are we there yet?  Nope.  The first crack at supporting
part of WPA has appeared just at the end of January.

If you need something that works immediately, I suggest
going for a B product.  The Dell Truemobile 1150
PC card is based on an Agere chipset and it will
work with WPA and wpa_supplicant.  It has native
driver support under Linux.

!DSPAM:42017198282181592232648!