[nSLUG] No PCMCIA 802.11g on Linux Laptops?!

Soren Aalto soren.aalto at gmail.com
Wed Feb 2 16:08:58 AST 2005

On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 15:06:18 -0400, Jon Moore <noj at av.eastlink.ca> wrote:
> I have a PII (366MHz, 128MB RAM (fine for text only stuff IMO)) laptop
> with the usual PCMCIA slots (type I, II or III).
> I'm running Slackware 10, kernel 2.4.26, and I have *no* hardware
> issues, except the sound card not working (it was flaking out anyway).
>
> I'm getting myself a WLAN setup for home, and will be using the WLAN at
> school. Both of these networks are based on the 802.11g (*G*) standard,
> and I'll need a *G* PCMCIA card to get on (don't ask why... blame it on
> the sysadmin).
>
> I've looked through several Linux websites and a few HCLs, and I have
> not found *any* 802.11g PCMCIA cards that are usable with *any* Linux.
> This raises one very important question: WHY?!

It's not PCMCIA, but I've been using the Centrino IPW2200 stuff on
my Dell i600m for months now.  It seems pretty good -- although

- it gets confused if the AP gets shut off for an extended period.
- I can't unload the module, so I have to reboot to correct this
  problem.

...but, I'm using an ancient version (0.7) of the driver, and there seem
to have been 15 releases since, and I see just now that there is
a 1.0.0 out.

!DSPAM:4201335d273426357417042!