[nSLUG] No PCMCIA 802.11g on Linux Laptops?!

Jon Moore noj at av.eastlink.ca
Wed Feb 2 15:06:18 AST 2005

I have a PII (366MHz, 128MB RAM (fine for text only stuff IMO)) laptop
with the usual PCMCIA slots (type I, II or III).
I'm running Slackware 10, kernel 2.4.26, and I have *no* hardware
issues, except the sound card not working (it was flaking out anyway).

I'm getting myself a WLAN setup for home, and will be using the WLAN at
school. Both of these networks are based on the 802.11g (*G*) standard,
and I'll need a *G* PCMCIA card to get on (don't ask why... blame it on
the sysadmin).

I've looked through several Linux websites and a few HCLs, and I have
not found *any* 802.11g PCMCIA cards that are usable with *any* Linux.
This raises one very important question: WHY?!

Either I'm looking in the wrong places, or there is currently no
support in Linux for 802.11g networking (via PCMCIA).

If any of you nice nSLUG people know of a possible solution to my
predicament, or a good place to dig deeper, I'd appreciate your help.

If any of you nice nSLUG people think I'm foolish for even *thinking*
of doing anything useful with that brick, I'd appreciate your
criticism.

!DSPAM:420124d0268811253418579!