[nSLUG] Linux on a laptop

J. Paul Bissonnette jpaulb at eastlink.ca
Sat Dec 31 10:11:12 AST 2005

Preston Smith wrote:

> Hi!
>
> A belated Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all of you
>
> I  just recently bought a laptop - Compaq V2414NR - Mobile AMD Turion
> 64 ML-28CPU, 512 MB system memory, 80 GB Drive, etc loaded with XP Home.
>
> My question is this.  As with most laptops the OS has been modified to
> incorporate Compaq's proprietary bits and pieces and to incorporate
> the normal power management routines.  Can I take 20 GB of the drive
> and create a Linux partition and install Grub or a similar program
> without screwing up the Compaq's system restore partition (D:) and
> other power management routines?
>
> Thanks
>
> Preston

Not sure if this is of any help.  When my old Desknote from  ECS died I
installed its harddrive containing Linux into a refurbished IBM
Thinkpad. The only modifications needed was to reconfigure the video
drivers from SIS to the IBM chip and the keyboard from German to English.

These site may help
http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/compaq.html
http://www.linux.org/hardware/laptop.html
http://www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-HOWTO/Laptop-HOWTO.html