[nSLUG] UPS

Stephen Gregory nslug at kernelpanic.ca
Sun Dec 18 11:52:01 AST 2005

On Fri, Dec 16, 2005 at 08:52:45PM -0400, Rich wrote:

> I have an old APC650, its about 8 years old.

Most UPS batteries won't last more then 3 years. The batteries are
kept overcharged. I am guessing there is a battery shop in one of the
industrial parks around Halifax. Check the yellow pages.

To test UPS batteries: most batteries are lead acid gel
cells. Disconnect the battery from the UPS. Use a multimeter to
measure the voltage. If the voltage is less then 11V the battery is
dead. (Return dead batteries for recycling.)

If the voltage is above 11v you might be able to recondition the
battery with a smart charger, but in most cases it will only last for
a little while longer.

Measureing the AC voltage produced by the UPS does not prove
anything. Most affordable UPSs don't produce clean sinusoidal power
and it is hard to measure properly. At any rate a UPS needs to be
measured under load.

--
sg

!DSPAM:43a585a4303801209715456!