[nSLUG] UPS

Donald Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Sun Dec 18 04:05:41 AST 2005

One more little test. Pretty basic, but the inexpensive APC UPSes
seem unable to warn of this failure...

Unplug the main power for the UPS, and insert a volt meter.
If you don't get something close to 117 volts, then you
should replace it or batteries.  Mine fell to 85 volts
when I checked a 3 year old unit.

On 12/18/05, Rich <budman85 at eastlink.ca> wrote:

> On Sat, 2005-12-17 at 18:00 -0400, J. Paul Bissonnette wrote:
> > Rich wrote:
> >
> > >Anyone know how to test a UPS?
> > >
> > >I have an old APC650, its about 8 years old.
> > >
> > >The old place we were at, I heard it soundoff maybe once a week or
> > >month.  Since we moved, its been resetting at least once a day.
> > >

> > How did you manage such a long battery life?  I bought a
> > APC650 at Future Shop in July 2003 and had to replace the battery  Sept.
> > 2004
> > I paid the difference on an upgrade to a XS1000, which has run 15 months
> > so far without dying.
> >

> I checked the site, the model is a BK650MC made in 1998.
> I think this was one of the flagship power units back in the day when
> they were promoting and informing us about brownouts and spikes.
>
> I ran two computer boxes and a firewall server on the UPS for  many
> years.  Its only since I got a bigger system and bigger monitors that I
> noticed it couldn't maintain that.  It ran fine for 233Mhz, 450Mhz, and
> and 1Ghz for years.  The bigger machines are requiring more power now.
> My wifes is a 1.6Ghz and it runs fine on the UPS. So I will pick up one
> of those 700VA or so.  Something thats about 50% usage.
>
> $50US to update the battery in the unit, I think I will send for the
> upgrade.
>

> I talked to NovaScotia Power about the numerous spikes in the lines
> causing brownouts and surges.  The lady told me there is NO such thing
> as a brownout or spike.  When she asked me "Do the lights dim?  Do they
> get Bright?  Do they flicker?"
>
> I said, uhh... you just explained a brownout, surge, and power arcing.
> I told her YES to each one.  One surge was so bad the lights sizzled, I
> flew across the room to kill the power to UPS, it was beeping like
> crazy.
>
> She said, oh it must be your system.  I said, well explain why our
> apartment unit, the neighbors apartment unit, and the landlord telling
> me they are getting frustrated resetting all the alarms.  She was.. uh..
> did your landlord contact us?  I said, no, she said she was to busy
> resetting the damn alarms! You should expect a call sometime soon.  She
> then asked can you provide the landlords phone number.  I did so.
>
> Power seemed to get better a few days later.  No more drops.  Then the
> snow storm last week or so, the drops are all back again.  Must of
> shorted something.
>

> Thanks for suggesting the APC site, I went on there years ago, they
> really changed it.  The battery return program is new.  Thats a great
> idea, so is the 35% discount for turning in old units.
>

> Rich

!DSPAM:43a51857286331007816727!