[nSLUG] Debian on an AMD 64

gnwiii at gmail.com gnwiii at gmail.com
Sat Dec 17 08:23:35 AST 2005

On 12/16/05, Jack Warkentin <jwark at eastlink.ca> wrote:

> Hi Everybody
>
> On December 15, 2005 09:50 pm, J. Paul Bissonnette wrote:
>
> > Is anyone running Debian on an AMD 64?
>
> I got an AMD64-based laptop a few weeks ago and am trying to find a
> suitable distro for it. I read a lot about Debian AMD64 but it did
> not look appealing since it is not possible to run 64-bit and 32-bit
> apps at the same time - you have to set up a separate chroot for the
> 32-bit apps.

Only if you have some "mission-critical" app that is only available as
32-bit,
and then you are generally better off using the distro recommended by the
developer.  There have been 64-bit machines from DEC (remember DEC?)
and SGI (remember SGI?) for years, so the vast majority of widely used apps
were ported long ago.   The exception is some legacy tools whose
functionality
is included in something newer.  Commercial distros like SUSE and Red Hat
need
to support legacy 32-bit apps and provide backwards compatibility for older
libraries as well as the ability to run 32-bit apps on 64-bit kernels.

I have tried (Debian-based) Kubuntu which installs ok but I don't care
> for it either. I have downloaded the 3 Mandriva 2006 CD iso's and
> plan on trying it next.

What didn't you like about Kubuntu?

I am also very much interested in any answers to Paul's question.

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia

!DSPAM:43a40348262618383016351!