[nSLUG] Debian on an AMD 64

Ben Armstrong synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
Fri Dec 16 21:37:46 AST 2005

On Fri, 2005-12-16 at 18:31 -0400, J. Paul Bissonnette wrote:
> Say with recompiling the Debian source code, would this be simply the 32
> bit source in and a 64 bit app out?
> When it comes to software engineering my best grade was a `F-`

Source code does not come in "32 bit" and "64 bit" flavours. :)

There are potential issues with poorly written source that is written
assuming a 32 bit architecture that will not work on a 64 bit
architecture, but that isn't "32 bit source", it is simply buggy code.

Many of these 64-bit issues are already fixed in Debian because Debian
has for a long time supported other 64-bit architectures (e.g. Alpha).

But yes, essentially it is as you say.  When you compile for a 64 bit
architecture, you use the same source code that would be used to compile
the app for a 32 bit architecture.

Ben

!DSPAM:43a36c50243174277151281!