[nSLUG] Hard drive error messages

Rich budman85 at eastlink.ca
Thu Dec 15 22:13:54 AST 2005

On Thu, 2005-12-15 at 21:50 -0400, J. Paul Bissonnette wrote:
> Bill Davidson wrote:
>
> >Hi:
> >
> >On Thu, 2005-15-12 at 10:47 -0400, J. Paul Bissonnette wrote:
> >

> The board is an ASUS A7M266 about 2001 vintage, caps look ok, nothing
> swollen. It spent 6 weeks in a container when we moved from Europe, may
> have gotten too much salt air.

hmm.. don't know how much salt air would effect it.
possible corrosion on ram.  have a q-tip and some alcohol?
check the contacts for any film, same with the other controller cards.

the video failure sounds more like either motherboard or
power supply getting ready to bite it.  Do you have a meter?
Test the output of the power supply, see if you have anything fluctuating.
Its possible the power supply is not putting out enough to drive the motherboard.

Newer power supplies need to be grounded.  Only perform if you are
feel safe working around electricity.  Maybe you can have a shop test the
power supply.  Don't one of the stores in the area have a tester?

Also try booting the system with minimal devices.
remove the floppy, cdrom, network, sound, to see if the system boots and runs fine.

I've seen those modem cards short and draw too much power.
Also, try cycling memory, maybe you have a bad chip.
If you have all slots with RAM, try booting each one in bank 0.
Sometimes this will show bad RAM really fast.

Good luck.

Rich

!DSPAM:43a221e6211011396261654!