[nSLUG] Hard drive error messages

Bill Davidson bdavidso at supercity.ns.ca
Thu Dec 15 10:19:37 AST 2005

Hi:

On Thu, 2005-15-12 at 10:47 -0400, J. Paul Bissonnette wrote:

> At first I thought it had to be the drive, now I'm not sure. I had to
> boot 5 or 6 times this morning.  One time there was a DMA warning,
> another time  GRUB wasn't found, hda missing, all drives missing except
> hdd. Twice Windows booted, without grub(???)  windows is on hdc. One
> time the monitor output failed, had to reinstall the videocard.

That pretty much screams "motherboard", or maybe RAM.  Probably
motherboard.  This is just the kind of flaky performance I have seen
before from motherboards with bad capacitors, including those hard drive
messages you posted before.  I have seen exactly those messages before
from a drive that was just fine but connected to a bad motherboard.

--
Bill Davidson
bdavidso at supercity.ns.ca

!DSPAM:43a17bc9188911356219154!