[nSLUG] Hard drive error messages

gnwiii at gmail.com gnwiii at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 18:09:01 AST 2005

On 12/13/05, J. Paul Bissonnette <jpaulb at eastlink.ca> wrote:

> On boot I received these warning messages, anyone the reason, cure etc.
>
> hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
> hda: dma_intr: error=0x01 { AddrMarkNotFound }, LBAsect=3202731,
> sector=69952
> [...]

How old is the drive?  I tend to work my drives hard and they usually die
within a few weeks after the warranty period
ends -- a tribute the precision of modern disk manufacturing.

60% of the time the drive is dying and should have been replaced yesterday.
You do have backups don't you?

If the drive is relatively new you should consider other possibilities.
Check the cables.  Some IDE cables have connectors that loosen with age and
must be replaced.  Then run the vendor's diagnostics.  In some cases the
diagnostics will report a "healthy" disk because the first few bad sectors
get remapped to spares, but if you get one bad sector today, expect to see
more in the near future.

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia

!DSPAM:439f467e174511213813559!