[nSLUG] hard-drives

Havea Notherpuff haveanotherpuff at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 14:57:27 AST 2005

On 12/13/05, Miles Thompson <miles at allnovascotia.com> wrote:

> At 02:39 PM 12/13/2005, you wrote:
> >On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 14:29:04 -0400, Stephen Gregory <nslug at kernelpanic.ca
> >
> >wrote:

> >>It is probably the power supply. In my experience bad power supplies
> >>are the cause of all manner of odd failures.
> >  I was just talking to her and she said the top of the computer had been
> >very hot more than a few times,so i will try out a new power suppy,It is
> >1.7 p3 on an A-open motherboard,not sure of the exact specs on it .But
> >thanks to everyone whos replied , and a Merry Xmas!
>
> Baaad when you use it as a coffee warmer. <g>
>
> A $7.00 fan let her down.
>
> To reiterate, what OS and did system monitoring software come with the
> mboard. If so, install it when the new drive goes in.

Sorry it is running xp-pro,no monitoring hardware came with it.

Where is her computer located? Jammed in underneath a desk, sitting on the
> floor, where there's all manner of lint and you cannot easily reach behind
> to check the exhaust from the power supply?

It is on the floor like you figured,she did say that the top has been
overheating ,the few times she did touch the top of the com,works good with
a simplymepic live cd in it though,LOL
She apparently is fed up with it and getting a new one tomorrow so I will
have the old one to play with.

Earlier advice was spot-on, get a GOOD power supply. It's really the
> foundation of system operations.
>
> Miles

!DSPAM:439f199d162751306360785!