[nSLUG] hard-drives

Miles Thompson miles at allnovascotia.com
Tue Dec 13 14:47:37 AST 2005

At 02:39 PM 12/13/2005, you wrote:
>On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 14:29:04 -0400, Stephen Gregory <nslug at kernelpanic.ca>
>wrote:
>
>>On Tue, Dec 13, 2005 at 02:00:44PM -0400, Gordon Jones wrote:
>>>My aunts computer has gone through three hard-drives in less than a
>>>year
>>
>>It is probably the power supply. In my experience bad power supplies
>>are the cause of all manner of odd failures.
>  I was just talking to her and she said the top of the computer had been
>very hot more than a few times,so i will try out a new power suppy,It is a
>1.7 p3 on an A-open motherboard,not sure of the exact specs on it .But
>thanks to everyone whos replied , and a Merry Xmas!

Baaad when you use it as a coffee warmer. <g>

A $7.00 fan let her down.

To reiterate, what OS and did system monitoring software come with the
mboard. If so, install it when the new drive goes in.

Where is her computer located? Jammed in underneath a desk, sitting on the
floor, where there's all manner of lint and you cannot easily reach behind
to check the exhaust from the power supply?

Earlier advice was spot-on, get a GOOD power supply. It's really the
foundation of system operations.

Miles

!DSPAM:439f1749161711792717685!