[nSLUG] hard-drives

Stephen Gregory nslug at kernelpanic.ca
Tue Dec 13 14:29:04 AST 2005

On Tue, Dec 13, 2005 at 02:00:44PM -0400, Gordon Jones wrote:
> My aunts computer has gone through three hard-drives in less than a
> year

It is probably the power supply. In my experience bad power supplies
are the cause of all manner of odd failures.

Replace the power supply with a better supply. e.g. a $50 supply, not
a $20 supply. I am guessing this computer is low end. Any 300w supply
should be more then sufficient. It is hard to buy anything less then.

The other cause may be heat but I would expect other odd failures
(video corruption, and random lock ups) if heat was the cause.

If the motherboard was bad there would be other failures then just
dead harddrives.

--
sg

!DSPAM:439f12f2159391487621290!