[nSLUG] hard-drives

Miles Thompson miles at allnovascotia.com
Tue Dec 13 14:08:20 AST 2005

At 02:00 PM 12/13/2005, you wrote:
>My aunts computer has gone through three hard-drives in less than a
>year,the place where she bouht the HD's is trying to tell her that it must
>be her motherboard  and that she should buy a new computer,while another
>puter shop told her it might be her power suppy,but probablt her
>motherboard and that she should just save the time and buy new com.Is
>there any truth in this,i have never heard of a motherboard destroying a
>hard-drive before .Has anyone here ever heard or had such a problem?

Yikes! That's terrible.
Techies help here, my surmises may be wrong.

I would, first of all, suspect the power supply.
The next suspect would be the voltage regulation on the motherboard.

What OS is she running, and frequently the motherboard has diagnostic
programs which load at boot time and monitor voltages, temperatures, etc.,
depending on the age of the motherboard. Unfortunately, most of these want
Windows.

I'm convinced there's some NSLUG member out there right now saying what
Linux pgm to use.

Three, in one year - sound like the experience people had with Western
Digital drives about 4~5 yr ago.

Regards - Miles Thompson

!DSPAM:439f0e1f158081603681487!